Mar 16, 2008

Rubber Duckie

We held my sister's baby shower this weekend. At the counsel of Carrie and hostess with the mostess, we put together a terrific Rubber Duckie themed shower.

Here is the proud mother and father-to-be. Her shirt was fantastic at disguising her baby bump, but you can see it if you look closely. It doesn't seem like she's put a pound anywhere else on her body.



We held the shower at Station 885 in Plymouth, MI. We had a nice fireside room all to ourselves. Each of the tables was decorated with floating ducks, blue jewels, mirrored disks and flowers.



My mother did a terrific job with all of the prizes. There were more than enough, almost three prizes per attendant! She had lemon flavored duck chocolates, mint covered Oreos, hand knit washcloths with soap, bath salts (lemon orange or lavendar), bracelets (on rubber duckies), and cards printed with my younger sister's own floral photography. All homemade!! I had to take a few prizes for myself!






The cake was also very special. Mom gave Busch's Value Land a couple of ducks and asked them to make a pond scene. They went to town. There were even small butterflies, dragonflies, and jelly bean rocks.



I can finally show off the knitting that I made for Chris. This is a cabled baby blanket from Debbie Bliss "Simply Baby." I made it with Di.Ve Zenith superwash merino. The turquoise is a powerful color, but will stimulate the baby and go well with their lighthouse/fish themed nursery and baby toys.





She received many great gifts, store bought and homemade, including several crocheted blankets, baby sweaters, hand sewn bibs and so on. That baby is going to be loved by many! I can't wait to meet him/her!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Ang, the shower looks like it turned out awesome! I love all the homemade prizes that your mom made. So cute! You guys did a great job. I'm sure Chris loved it! :)

Patty Ann said...

I do need to get a special thanks out to Carrie for the rubber ducky supplies! The room looked beautiful. I have candy molds if anyone else wants to use this theme. I can't wait to check out all of the gifts up close.
I don't think I've ever seen a cable knit stitch with purl on one side and knit on the other. It's beautiful.

Amber said...

GORGEOUS blanket angie! Your sister looks great! I hate those people who only gain in the belly. My body decided it needed a butt equally as big to even out the belly! Cute shower gifts too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Ang! I'll be back working full time when showers & grandbabies start happening around here. I'm afraid I'll NEVER, ever, be able to equal the time, money and talent to put a shower on of that magnitude. You'll have to bear with me when the time comes. I'm exhausted just reading about the affair. PHEW!!

The blanket you poured your heart and soul into is gorgeous! I hope someone returns the favor to you!! I must remind you that I'll never grasp that cable knit jargon. It's greek to me!

Anonymous said...

chuckles just reminded me that there won't be just baby showers, and we're thinking more than one here in the future, but also a wedding shower too!

Chris said...

Yes, thank you again for the perfect shower. You guys put some so much into it...and also made the lovely knit stuff for the baby! I don't know how you found the time. I can't wait to use the blanket and sweater.