Mar 4, 2008

Roam if you want to.

Roam around the block.

Maggie ran away this morning. The clasp on her outdoor lead must have been stuck open and let loose her collar. When I saw she was gone I flipped. I had the feeling similar to the scene where Pee-Wee realizes someone stole his prized bicycle (except no laughing clown was involved). I wasn't sure how to go about finding her. I ran around the house for a minute and then decided to jump in the car and drive around the neighborhood. I started out on a mission with focused intensity, but soon my intensity turned to fear. I realized trying to find her in an urban area could be likened to a needle in a haystack. There were so many fenced in backyards that she could be sniffing around, hidden from my view. It's trash day on our street, so I drove down past every can, thinking she'd be munching. I drove to all of her familiar areas, parks and playgrounds. I went downtown thinking she'd have found someone to socialize with. Soon my eyes began to tear as I realized I may never see her again, or just may never see her alive again. That was a scary thought.

So I went home with a new strategy to walk around shaking treats and calling for her. As I pulled up to our house, there she sat on the front stoop. She seemed to be waiting for someone to come open the door for her. She'd never looked sweeter to me. So after an hour of adventure, my baby found her way home. I was so happy to see her and, it seemed, she me because she ran out to the street to join me. I picked her up and gave her a big hug....

We were lucky today, but I hope every dog owner minds this story and makes sure their dog has an i.d. tag and a microchip. It is a terrifying thing losing your beloved puppy. even if it is for only one hour.

6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Oh my gosh Angie! It is a terrible feeling when you lose your beloved pet. Jeff and I have lost Eva twice...we thought we were never going to find her both times. Panick struck me like I have never experienced before. I am so happy that you found her =)

Anonymous said...

Maggie, no more scares!!! She is a most beloved grandpuppy and she had a nice much appreciated visit with Angie with her laid up mamie!

We lost our Missy for a weekend and it was the saddest few days that I can remember! After much searching, we relented to a notice in the GR Press. One Sunday morning, we got a call and this lady described a cockapoo over the phone to chuckles, but it wasn't until she mentioned that this lovable, wonderful dog liked to watch TV that I overheard him say, "that's our Missy!" He had a warm welcoming when she literally leapped into his arms to return home!

Everyone should have their loved pet ID'd with a chip! I am so happy this ended up so well. MUAH!!

Carrie said...

OMG Angie! That is so scary! I'm sure you were totally freaking out. I'm so glad that she's such a smart puppy that she found her way home.

Unknown said...

now you know how i feel when wally runs away! the first time i kept starring at the horse farm down the street from randy every time i drove by... thinking he was socializing with those horses... little did i know he was in an animal shelter an hour away.

so yes, IDs and microchips are completely necessary!

Beth said...

Angie - I have a beagle so I am all too aware that, with beagles, the nose rules! I have felt the momentary panic, too! And then it's so hard to be mad at them when you finally find them! Glad it only took an hour.

Chris said...

Our only hope is that Cayman realizes she can't make it on her own and would come back home. That is a very scary moment and I am glad she did come back home. She knows that she has two very loving parents.