Nov 2, 2008

We've had a great weekend so far. I worked this morning, painted our kitchen door (finally fixing up the pet-sitting damage), and am washing all of the many great hand-me-downs we've received for Charlotte. (I love to just sort through all of the clothes over and over, impatient for the day she's here.)
But the highlight of our weekend - meeting our new nephew Matthew! We took a day trip out to the east side of Michigan yesterday. Matthew is a delight - an "angel baby" as the Baby Whisperer would say. We took turns cuddling him and flashed pictures until he cried as if to say "Enough already!" Jacqueline and Jeff are completely laid back new parents - I hope I can be that relaxed with a newborn.





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for sharing those pictures! He looks more and more alert! I love the picture with Brian. The last one gives me an idea what I've missed in one week! Like I've said, I can't fathom that I'll be cradling 2 in just a few 8-9 weeks! I can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

That's nice you guys got to hold him, I wasn't able to. I wanted to snuggle him up :) He is so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

It's the shots Rach...we all had to get "shot up" before we could hold him!

Angie said...

No, I don't think it was shots. It's just that you don't want to expose a newborn to much because a work-up for a fever in a newborn is horrendous - blood cultures, x-rays, spinal tap...no fun for a new mom to watch.

Jacqueline said...

It's both...the pediatrician said no visitors for 6 weeks. Jeff and I decided to make an exception for grandparents/siblings.

Anonymous said...

That poor baby was poked every day! He was checked for a number of things before he even left the hospital. I felt badly for him, but he's a trooper. but they did say if he developed a fever they'd do a spinal tap right away. Since I took care of a young girl who was born normal but contracted a staph infection which lead to cerbral palsy and seizure disorder, better to be safe than sorry at all costs.

Kim Davis said...

Looking good with a baby, Brian. He is gorgeous, guys. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

6 weeks...does that mean he won't be at Thanksgiving dinner with all the family this year? :(
Somehow that seems a little extreme, I've held many babies as newborns, is this a new rule by doctors these days? I thought maybe I was excluded because Steve and I were seen as germy or something. Last I checked I was up to date on all my vaccinations...haha Actually, Baylie is too!

Angie said...

Well, that's the question Rach, have you had a pertussis booster in the past couple years. This is a newer trend. Your pertussis (whooping cough) immunity wore off when you were about 13. Now they give you the booster with your tetanus vaccine and it's called "Adacel."

Anonymous said...

And Rach, it hurts like "hell" too!