Jun 11, 2009

The Nursed-Baby Diet

Many would think that the reason why a woman can lose weight so easily while nursing is due to the extra calorie expenditure. Over the last 5 months, I've realized that there is so much more to the algorithm.

* When the baby ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Which means all of her meals are a priority over mine and I'm on call 24/7.

* When the baby is content by herself, I feel I must use that valued time for such items as showering, paying bills, laundry, sweeping, watering the vegetable garden, facebook, organizing coupons....you get the idea. It seems that everything else is so much more important than feeding myself.

* Grocery shopping trips must be short and sweet so that I don't come face to face with a hungry baby and am still in the dairy aisle. (One might realize the humor in that, but I would beg to differ.) So, faster shopping means I skipped the cookie aisle.

* Meals are small and simple since meal prep is an afterthought. So, no three course meals or dessert to fatten up on. In fact, I would go for PB&J sandwiches most nights if this didn't disappoint my husband.

* And once the day is through, baby is nursed for that last "top off" of the night, and off to dreamland, there is no energy left to fix a late night snack. Forget having your husband wait on you when you're pregnant, this is when you need it most!

Of course - weight loss doesn't equal muscle tone. But I'll take it one baby step at a time :)

3 comments:

Chris said...

You could also be like me where I still did not have an interest in sweets after I had Amos. Finally getting a craving for chocolate again.

Kim Davis said...

This is so true.

Patty Ann said...

Throw in about 20 push-ups, 20 crunches (slow and controlled-not fast), 20 squats and you will be amazed how toned you are.
The constant motion of keeping up with toddlers is an exciting time in life, enjoy it.