Jan 30, 2007

The 'Ole Windy City

We had great fun and great eats in Chicago this past weekend. We were long overdue for a weekend with our Chicago friends, so we headed out Saturday morning. I refused to leave Friday because I insisted our parakeet would be "starved to death" by the time we returned Sunday. That little bird is quite a pig.

My number one mission when we arrived was to find food. We went to Hot Doug's for lunch. I have never been there and was hesitant to wait in a line...outside....in the cold....in order to wait in another line to place my order. Hot Doug did not let me down. They specialize in all kinds of homemade hot dogs and sausages. I had a tequila-lime-blackbean chicken sausage with chihuahua cheese. On the side - cheesy fries and plain fries prepared in duck fat. I'm not sure if duck fat is good for me, but they were good in my mouth.



They can't get enough.



We relaxed for a bit before I then got sucked in to seeing the movie "Smokin Aces." Note to self: next time go sit in a chick flick by myself. This was a gorey movie and definitely not worth $10. I could've bought some marvelous yarn with $10. BTW, I did not go yarn shopping in Chicago. I wanted to badly, but my commitment to the stash-a-thon kept me under control.

That night we went to the boy's favorite bar, Lincoln Tap Room. I looked forward to the opportunity to wear my finished Clapotis out in public. I haven't blocked it yet, but knowing the bar would be smokey, I figured I'd have to wash it anyway.



"We are laughing. We are friends."



I only had one drink that night, knowing we had early plans the next morning. I'm so glad that I did not have to suffer from a hangover because I could better enjoy a most delicious breakfast with Carrie and Matt Sunday morning. We met at Orange, a hip (and fairly expensive) downtown restaurant. The novelty - orange flavored coffee and Frushi. Sticky coconut rice around strawberry and kiwi. I've never enjoyed sushi so much.



Matt's "flight of pancakes." Ever had a pancake drowned in white chocolate ganache?



We joined them for mass at Brian's old stomping grounds - Old St. Pat's. I always forget how beautiful their music ministry is. I also love to hear a sermon that speaks right to your heart and your stressors in life. A round of high fives to Old St. Pat's for the good work they do.

As for the bad part of the trip....Brian did a great job with his recap of our drive home. Lake effect snow was not our friend on the way home. I was definitely too strung out to calmly knit in the car. For some reason, I must watch the road intently even if I'm not driving. I realize now why winter wiper blades are nothing to skimp on. I was very happy to be home safely that night.

Well, back to my Tuesday assignments. We have an abundance of snow here, so I'm glad to be done with errands. I'll write with some knitting projects soon, I hope.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure if duck fat is good for me, but they were good in my mouth."

Best... quote... ev-VER!

Anonymous said...

I'm making the sign language sign for "more" with my hands twoards that delicious looking food.

patty said...

We visited Grandma B today after dropping my car off for service. She's OK, but rather grumpy. They have a quarantine on the home and no one leaves their rooms, meals included.

I'm working on my shawl and making good progress. It's a good day to knit, even though we don't have the snow you're getting.

Speaking of snow, I'm very glad to hear you made it home safely. I thought you were only going for the day on Saturday. I misunderstood Brian. And again with the snow, the Chuckster had a fabulous trip. Said the guys skiied some EXtreme hills, which he begged out of, since, in his words, "too old!"

Matt Stratton said...

Awesome to see you guys again. It was also pretty funny for me to be sitting in the middle of the Carrie/Angie gossipfest during Mass.

I mean, to sit in between you two reverent young women full of love of all things church. Yeah, that's it!

Patty Ann said...

The nursing homes in Adrian also have quarantines. Must be a lot of flu going around.
Matt, when Angie is home and attends mass at our parish, she always misbehaves. It is not very "reverent"....

Anonymous said...

Matt, that's my favorite part of going to church with Ang and Carrie, brings me right back to college at St. Toms.

patty said...

Our Lady in Rockford is always a place for the Burch boys to misbehave during Mass. I think this was one Christmas they did not get in trouble! It used to be worse when cousing Jimmy was with them too!

Anonymous said...

I sent you a few knitting patterns a little while and wanted to make sure you got them? You may have had a few of them already, but I thought the knitted clasps were cool and wanted to pass along...

Angie said...

Shauna, Thanks, I did get the patterns. I have knit the Jaywalkers before in Lorna's Lace and they're my favorite socks. I just found an adjusted pattern to make them a little looser, so I'll probably make another pair.