Apr 12, 2007

What I've Learned...

I am now the wise age of 28 and have grown to learn, love, and be annoyed by many things.

1) I've recently discovered that it bothers me greatly when a woman refuses to work if her husband needs her to. Now, I count raising small children as work. But if the kids are grown, and the household is in need of some additional financial security, I cannot stand it if a woman tries to pull a 1920s ploy and act like grocery shopping and bills are a full time job. Otherwise, if the money is not necessary and the husband could care less - hey, more power to ya.

2) I hate overdraft fees. As hard as I try to keep an anal budget, I will inevitably screw up about once a year and this one screw up will result in a string of bounced checks and astronomical overdraft fees. I will curse at the online checking account and massage my temples until I realize there is no way to undo my mistake. I'll curse the banking system for being so greedy that they can't figure out a friendly way to just borrow from my savings when this occurs. I then grovel to Brian so he doesn't revoke my control over the bill paying system.

3) I constantly think about my metabolism. I tell my patients all the time about how their metabolism will slow with age, so they should adjust their diet accordingly. I, however, have failed to adjust my diet. I worry every time I eat dinner after 7 (which is often) and I feel very guilty each time I pass on going to the gym (but the guilt does not change my mind). I dread the day it all catches up with me.

So, those are just some random annoyances and stressors on my mind right now. Oh how cynical I have become in my "old" age.

9 comments:

Matt Stratton said...

Well, next time you get hit with the overdraft fee, just think "fees like this are what pay my friend Matt's paycheck". I don't know who you bank with, but if it's Chase, just imagine that for every overdraft fee you pay, about $0.0000000000000000000000000001 goes to me!

Patty Ann said...

Let's just say remark #1 resembles me. I hope it's not meant that way. It's very complicated when your husband isn't able to pitch in as much as Brian does.
As far as overdrafts. Banks decided in the early 90's that fee income was going to sustain them. They used to pay as many of your checks that came in as they could. Now the computers put them in order largest to smallest. So when the largest is paid, you might bounce numerous small items. Check in to overdraft protection.
Well I hope today is going better than yesterday!

Angie said...

No mom, I was worried you would take it that way. As far as I know, dad has never needed nor wanted you to work. I'm just all in a tizzy because of two recent patient scenarios.

Matt, I'll try to overdraw my account more often to help pay for your honeymoon :)

Patty Ann said...

Wish you lived close enough to kick box with me. The instructor is probably the most high on life person I've ever met. He even printed out t-shirts "strong mind, strong body"....."when I set my mind to it I do it"....."I've got the power"....."the choice is mine"...
I'm going to call you this weekend to pick your brain on some bedroom redecorating. I actually bought a bed-in-a-bag. (what a concept)...

Carrie said...

You know Ang, sometimes if you call the bank and plead ignorance on how you possibly overdrew your account, as a courtesy they'll reverse at least most of the charges. Its worked for me anyways. :)

Matt Stratton said...

It's true. Carrie is the queen of talking her way out of things.

Interesting fact - I cannot talk my way out of overdrafts with my checking account, because it's an employee checking account - and apparently, it's a violation of company policy to bounce checks. Basically, what the teller told me when I tried it once was "look, you work here, so you should know better". I guess they can't (as in, the system won't even allow them) to reverse any overdraft charges on the "employee" accounts.

That was more information about my personal checking account saga than anyone should care to read.

Patty Ann said...

Hahaha, I did that once when I worked at the bank. Definitely got called into the manager's office for that. Come to think of it, I'm surprised we all didn't receive little Patty bobbleheads at the office Christmas party. Or K-Pat. That would be a good bobblehead.

Angie said...

Mom, you've really taken to your new nickname. Perhaps we should change over your comment title from Patty Ann to K-Pat.

Chris said...

Tola, I think you jinxed me. I went to transfer money into my checking last night and my checking account said $0.00 online. They had to transfer money from my savings to my checking to cover my last check. I was so upset, I hadn't done that since the pre-Ben era. Luckily DCECU was nice enough to transfer the cash. If I didn't have to spend over $200 on Cayman at the vet on Tuesday it would have been much better. We told her she has to earn her keep now - and only gets treats that are on sale :-)