Jun 3, 2008

Carnival!

Today was our final hurrah at the Boys and Girls Club of Grand Rapids (at least for this year). To celebrate the close of the school year, we put together a party with a true carnival theme. This is something we wanted to do last year but never pulled together. I was in charge of the party and felt a bit overwhelmed by it all. Somehow, it all came together beautifully. I had just enough volunteers to scrape by. I brought in a motivational group from Ohio - the Dazzling Mills Co. This is a family act that uses acrobatics and juggling to demonstrate hard work and persistence. The kids laughed and smiled so much, it was contagious.



We served the children cotton candy, hot dogs, pop corn and sno-cones. I didn't expect 150 kids, and I really didn't expect their little stomachs would fit one of everything. Had I known there would be so many, I would have scaled down the choices a bit. It all worked out in the end. Some of the kids had never had sno-cones or cotton candy before, if you can believe that!

My commitment to the Grand Rapids Junior Leauge is now over. I will be going on inactive status for next year while I try the local Holland Junior Welfare League. I'm excited to do something within my own community.

1 comment:

Patty Ann said...

Great job! Looks like the kids had a wonderful time.