Mar 11, 2009

Back to work

Maternity leave is over and I really am doing okay! I was welcomed back to work Monday as Brian dropped Charlotte to daycare. He said it was hard to leave her with strangers, but she didn't seem to mind since she slept in for another hour. They reported that she was "calm and alert" and didn't cry much at all. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I slipped right back into my routine at work and managed to remember how to operate all of the features of our computer charting system. I never called to check on Charlotte because I was too afraid I'd hear her crying in the background. If I heard that, I don't know how I'd function the rest of the day. Once I finished my work I raced to daycare as fast as I could to swoop in and get my baby back in my arms! Yesterday she stayed home with Grandma and seemed to have a great time as well. And I sure didn't mind that Grandma washed all of our laundry and vacuumed too!
Working in pediatrics, I definitely find myself with a new-found confidence when examining the children and giving advice to the parents. I also feel a lot more sympathy now when I hear infants crying (and am grateful for nursing pads). The toddler's cries still don't affect me much, but that's probably because they're usually having a temper tantrum. The "supernanny" in me doesn't stand for that.
I hope my return to work continues to go this well!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Glad to hear it is going so well. I have been thinking about you!

Jacqueline said...

So glad to hear Charlie is doing great! I knew she would. And, I am glad to hear that you are doing well too!