Aug 27, 2006

Back from Michigan's Adventure Land

We had a better-than-expected time in Munising last week. After 8 lighthouses, a 10 mile hike, 11 mile kayak, and 20 mile mountain bike - I have to tell you I have officially decided I have no idea how to just relax! We had so much fun though. We stayed at the Munising City Park. For $1.00 you're allowed a 10 minute hot shower - glorious! The rustic tent sites are within 10 feet of the beach.





That means each night I got to knit while watching the sunset from our campsite. How great is that?! Great thing about vacation - not only time to knit (I finished a baby hat and kept working on the black hole of a baby blanket) I also finished the book "Pope Joan" and read "Freakonomics." I recommend both. I thought "Pope Joan" was entirely fiction - until I got to the end of the book where they explained facts supporting the actual existence of a female pope in the 9th century. Crazy! "Freakonomics" was enlightening. I've always enjoyed arguments with a true logic support - this book does an outstanding job with that. I wanted to use it for my first blog book club - but now that I already finished it, perhaps it is too late.

Well, back to camping. Brian posted all our pics on Flickr and I'd love for you to check them out. We saw many waterfalls, Munising, Miner, Chapel, Mosquito, Upper and Lower Tahquemenon. We even got to wade through Lower Tahquemenon.





Of course, we took the Pictured Rocks Boat Tour. Even if it's touristy - it's well worth it to view the formations from the water. This is Indian Head - I hope you can see it. He even has a headdress.



Another great tour - the Shipwreck Boat Tour. The wreck of the Bermuda was literally 6' from the viewing window and totally intact. Ghostly.



And if you're a lighthouse enthusiast like we are - there are an abundance of them in the U.P. There were actually 500 shipwrecks on Lake Superior. It's amazing to think that on any given day in the early 20th century the skyline was studded with ships. We went to the museum at Whitefish Point and learned a lot about the Edmund Fitzgerald. The fact that amazed me most - so many shipwrecks were actually caused by collision with another ship - I always thought it was the weather. This is the restored East Point Light on Grand Island.



Well - time to hand the computer back to Brian. More posts coming soon!

5 comments:

patty said...

Hey Ang! So glad you had an enjoyable vacation. With so much beauty I guess you don't want to just sit still.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your pictures are so beautiful! It sounds like you had an awesome week! Did you camp the entire time? How fun!

Anonymous said...

I've been to the UP several times before, including once to Pictured Rocks with Hott Carl and some other guys. That place rules.

Kim Davis said...

When you raved about this campground and said that it even had hot showers, I had no idea that a hot shower cost money. Was the cost of the site cheaper than the state/national park? I almost don't even care with a beachfront site like yours.

Angie said...

The site was $15 per night. I don't know how much the national parks are, but this was pretty reasonable I thought.