Aug 29, 2006

Tuesday Craft Project

Today's mission was cushions for the bench seat in the dining room. I dragged Brian to JoAnn's on Sunday to get 3" foam cushions. The bench measures a whopping 92" - so that was a lot of cushion.



I chose a rugged black denim, which should hide any red wine stain from a party goer, as well as match the yellow-black thing we have going on in that room.

After a phone consult with Patty Ann, I decided to wash, dry and iron the denim to avoid any unexpected shrinkage on a future wash. We also discussed the possibility of scrapping the sewing idea and just wrapping the fabric around the foam like it was a present. This is a good idea - but not perfectionist enough for me.

While the fabric was washing, I cut squares of tissue paper into the size of my fabric pieces. Although tedious, this part was a no-brainer. I allowed a 1/2" seam for each panel. The tissue paper was extremely helpful in cutting uniform pieces of fabric.



After pinning and sewing my first seams, I realized I was going to need to double-check my future pinning. I had sewn the wrong side of the fabric up for the main surface - argh! Good thing for seam rippers. I was covered with black thread and fuzzies by the time I got those undone. I looked like there were ants all over my shorts.

After a few seams, I was getting the hang of it.



I was nervous about the actual seams that form the three dimensional shape - I felt like I was going to accidentally sew over something I didn't want to, or leave a gaping hole at the corners. In the end - it worked out.



Unfortunately, they're not done. I left a seam along the middle of the bottom side open for a zipper. I've never sewn in a zipper before, so I'm getting Patty Ann's help this weekend. I'm pleased with the end result, custom cushions on a Dave Ramsey budget. Now I'm ready for that housewarming party!

5 comments:

patty said...

Oh Angie, I'm so proud of you and your anal ability to wrip out fabric. I hated knitting for losing stitches, but I can wrip a seam out with the best of them. I also know a thing or two about sewing projects. You can ask me sometime too if you'd like. I also have my surger available at your whim! :)

I too would have gone with the patterns. My left brain needs to follow something, then I can go on my own. Good choice with the black, but what do I know, I bought white furniture with 3 young boys!!! Who just happened to like to play football in the house!

Maybe some Tuesday we have off you can show me how to add the fringe to the prayer shawl I've been working on for soooo long! The church group hasn't been meeting for some reason.

Angie said...

Would be a good place to drink coffee, except it faces the side of our neighbor's house. I'll use my imagination :)

Anonymous said...

I think your cushions are awesome.

Angie said...

Thanks Carl! I'm glad a man can appreciate the art of cushion-making.

Kim Davis said...

You amaze me. How on earth did you learn how to do these things?

Sarah and Brian had their baby. (my brother and his wife) Check out my blog for more www.garyandkim.blogspot.com