Nov 7, 2006

Santa Claus is Coming

Christmas knitting is officially underway! I was a yarn slut for the last couple days while hunting down perfect yarn for my projects.

1) Elf slippers for my highschool friend's daughters, ages 3 and 5. I found a chunky yarn called Museum Artful Yarns. I also bought some novelty yarn for the cuffs. The most expensive part was the size 13 double point needles I needed - but at least I can use those again. I can't wait to see how these turn out.



2) Cotton for the hand towels from Mason Dixon Knitting. This was a clearance buy. The cotton has a nice twist to it with a little glimmer too.



3) A comfy pair of slipper socks for Brian's Grandma Mary. I used Encore (Linda's excellent advice) because it will do nicely in the washer and dryer since she is currently in assisted living. I found this idea on the "Who Wouldn't Love a Hand Knitted Gift?" KAL that Amber and I joined. Here's the pattern. They knit up so quickly - you can see I already have one done!



I had an excellent time with Linda yesterday. She showed me all of her recent knitting projects, including the bath mitt she made for the breast cancer knit a long. Nobody thought it odd that she used it to hold her coffee.



The bummer of the day was that my favorite yarn shop, Friends of Wool, is closed on Mondays. We found other ways to spend our time and money anyway. It was so nice to see her - and she always gives me great knitting motivation and advice. I was complaining to her about wanting to knit the baby kimono but not having a baby to currently knit it for - she told me to start making and saving objects for our future children. I think I will.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Now I just have to decide what pattern to put on the bottom with the puffy paint. I was thinking something to the effect of "Angie Rocks." Or maybe some boring dots.

Shari said...

After reading your blog I had to get some yarn! So I went to the Fiber House and bought some ribbon yarn to make a small shawl for my mom. And some cotton yarn for bath wash cloths. It was fun. Hopefully I can get it done before X-mas

Angie said...

Haha. I'm a bad influence!