Nov 24, 2006

Thank Goodness it's Black Friday!

Today started off just like any Black Friday....



The alarm was set for 4:15 am. (No Target recording of Kermit this year.) We were out the door by 4:38. We busted the doors down at Younkers. The group at the door next to us were actually griping that ours might get unlocked first. "We were here first!," they exclaimed. Give me a break. After making out like bandits there, we headed to Kohl's. I don't know who of you have ever gone to Kohl's on this very special day, but you have to make sure you pack a whole lot of patience. The place is packed and the aisles are full of floor-to-ceiling displays. The line ALWAYS goes to the back of the store.



Our line was so long, it actually overlapped with the line heading in the other direction. The lady behind us asked what I had to do to get Brian to come along. She was mostly jealous I had someone to help carry the stuff. I actually saw here dripping sweat by the time we reached the front of the store.



I told her how I manipulate him with the promise of a special treat -



Dear bacon, egg & cheese McGriddle,
We love you. You have always been there to support us in times of need. You warm us before a long flight. You have given us energy on moving day. But most of all, you are the inspiration that helps us roll out of bed in the early morn' to save 50% on a food processor.
Sincerely,
Angie and Brian

At the end of the day, we have this to show.



It may not look like much in the bags, but I'm here to tell you that there are going to be some happy faces come Christmas morning (especially mine since I know I'm getting the food processor!!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that doorbusting in the suburbs here must be different. Carrie and I got to Target about three minutes before they opened - we took this time to stock up on our own McDonald's breakfast (Carrie rocked the McGriddle, and I kicked it old-school with an Egg McMuffin). There were about 40 people in line at Target, but when we got there the doors were just opening, so we were inside by 6:01. Carrie walked up to the electronics counter, and asked for the two cameras we were buying. After that, we leisurely strolled the store, and were 2nd in line when we checked out.

We hit Kohl's afterwards - it was almost 7 am by then, so we did not witness the madness you describe. The place looked fairly picked-over, but we got some good deals on Fisher Price toys, and waited in a line of about three people to check out.

The only long lines we saw were at Carson's - we went to the mall to check out JC Penny, and went into Carson's to use the bathroom. Every register there had at least 40 people in line to check out - I told Carrie to not even bother looking at any merchandise there :) Apparently they had some kind of computer issue with their POS, so checkout was running super slowly.

Anonymous said...

Wow Ang! It looks like you got some great deals. We hit Target at 6, right as they opened and got everything we wanted from there, including a new awesome digital camera. I can't believe your Kohl's was so packed. We went there to get some toys for Kate around 6:30 and there were lots of people there, but it wasn't mobbed. I think we waited in line for like 2 minutes. I think we're going to make this a yearly tradition.
ps....I *heart* mcgriddles! mmmm.

Angie said...

Carrie once told me how those Chicago suburb people seem too proud to save a buck. I ain't too proud to beg :)

karl said...

I have never heard a better ode to Mcdonalds. *sob*

Anonymous said...

Wow- glad everyone had such a good black friday. We only went to Hobby Lobby and Goodwill around 11(and I'm pretty sure Goodwill doesn't do Bk. Fri). HL was handing out chocolates, so that was motivation for standing in line (which wasn't too long). Mitch made Sausage "McMuffins" with Egg at home on Sat morning (does that count?). Very yummy!