Nov 19, 2006

The True Meaning

What a great weekend! We had the opportunity to see so many out-of-town friends. First, David and his friend Bill came up from Cincinnati. We took them out to see Big Red. Coming from Ohio, Bill does not love lighthouses quite as much as we do. But he has potential. He is a really nice guy and even took kindly to my excessive knitting talk. He's promised to be the pastry chef for my future fantasy coffee/knitting shop.



Carrie, her fiance Matt, and Meredith stopped by later in the day. After a great dinner at 84 East (our fav downtown pasta joint), we got to enjoy the start of the Christmas season during the Holland Holiday Open House.



I've never seen downtown Holland so crowded. Luminaries lit the sidewalks.



Meredith said it was too early for Christmas carolers, but these folks in their authentic garb were as good as it gets..



The activities even led me to venture into a few stores that I never would have thought I'd enjoy. I was pleasantly surprised.



Today we drove to my parents to enjoy an early Thanksgiving dinner. Brian demonstrated his turkey skills...



He is fist deep in the turkey for a reason - stuffing the herb rub between the skin and meat. My parents deep fried the turkey - yum. After stuffing and stuffing ourselves, it's back to Ho-land for a short work week.

So, as we get prepared to enter the hectic holiday season of '06, we were reminded what is so terrific about these few weeks...committing time to friends and family to celebrate and give thanks. Thanks for visiting us everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished uploading my pictures from yesterday (well, and today too) to Flickr. So enjoy rocking out with them.

And I changed my Blogger avatar, although the so-called "old man" was actually me, eating a hot dog at Wrigley Field, although Carrie agreed that it did not look like me.

Thanks for your hospitality! We had a really good time. The only downside of spending time with you guys and getting to know you better is that it makes me sad that we don't live closer!

Anonymous said...

We had a blasty, nurding out with lighthouses and Mac talk and shopping.

Please come back! And we encourage everyone to move to the GR/Holland metro area so you can enjoy the Burchly pleasures every day!

natch