Feb 11, 2007

48 hours

The weekend flew by. Brian and I had a great time celebrating Valentine's Day with dinner and dancing. We took lessons in West Coast Swing out in Grand Rapids with our dancing friends, Roger and Luann. Most people are familiar with the East Coast Swing. You know, the kind you wear a zoot suit to dance. The west coast version is more of a linear back and forwards movement where the man stays fairly still and moves the girl back/forth and all around.



We definitely found the basics much harder to master than the east coast style. Brian and I were fine in the beginner class, but when the intermediate began, we soon figured out we were in over our heads. It's fun, though, and I can see how it would be very useful because you can use it in all kinds of songs. I even found YouTube.com video of a couple dancing to "Sexy Back." We'll try to keep working on it.

After invading my stash, I was inspired to use some of my Lion Brand "Kool Wool" to make some baby items for an expecting co-worker. Well, seeing as how she was having contractions on Friday, she may no longer be expecting.



I debated whether a baby would wear a scarf, but Amber assured me a newborn - yes, an infant who can use their hands usefully would quickly tear it off. And don't they look so cute as a set?! I just winged it with the pattern, using measurements from the Yarn Harlot's book to figure the height and circumference of the hat.

I also finally got around to knitting a little treat that Linda gave me a few months ago.



It's a mini sock-blocker key chain. Now this didn't really use much of my stash, but I'm happy to say that it's the first sock I've ever completed in less than two hours. I love it. Brian is just hoping he'll never have to use it on his set of keys.



Thanks Linda! I'm sure I'll make more. This is my spring sock.

3 comments:

Matt Stratton said...

NOOOOO! Don't tell me you guys are becoming Westies!

Once the spangles and sequins take over your dancing, forever will they become your destiny...you'll be doomed to a dance life of "Fire" and "Mustang Sally"!

(This is mostly only amusing if you know the (mostly) good-naturing ribbing that goes on between WCS dancers and Lindy Hoppers)

Patty Ann said...

I'm sure you can pull out some dance moves at weddings this year....Carrie and Meredith's...

I had to laugh so hard, the husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor was on Larry King Live or one of those shows and said "you don't think Anna Nicole was sitting home knitting socks do you"......I think they need to start a "free Zsa Zsa" website like they had for Katie after the couch jumping. That man is a lunatic.

Matt Stratton said...

Linda -

Yeah, Benji was a supermegatroid fabulous Westie. Another famous Westie champion is Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, who won the World Series of Poker a while ago.