Aug 19, 2007

Something more important than knitting....

I definitely want to post about this weekends finds at the Michigan Fiber Festival, but I have some more pressing news. Brian and I adopted a beagle puppy! Her name (unless we change our minds before we bring her home) is Jane and she's about two months old.



She's all puppy, but is a soft cuddler too. We found her through a halfway home in Grand Rapids. They held an adoption day at a local animal hospital today. Most of their puppies were rescued from a puppy mill. The benefit of adopting a puppy, rather than buying one at a pet store, is that it puts no money back in the hands of the mill owners. Read more here.

We had many beagles and jackabees to pick from, but she was our favorite by far. Now I have heard a hundred people say "Don't get a beagle, they smell....or they howl." But I'll tell you I know many beagle owners who have the greatest love for their beagle. As far as smelling, well sure they will if you don't bathe it! And howling can be trained out of a dog. Per Kim's recommendation, we'll pick up Puppies for Dummies and have at it. We already bought the crate for potty training.

She'll come home with us the middle of this week. I hope she likes Squishy! Look how tiny she is right now.



Like I said, she's all puppy. Here she is chewing on my purse straps. To be fair, I put them over her head.

8 comments:

Kim Davis said...

She is SOOO cute. I thought she was already at home with you. We also recommend Cesear Milan, the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic Channel.

Matt Stratton said...

I love beagles. They are the bestest.

I agree with Kim that the Dog Whisperer is pretty neat, although you HAVE to take him with a grain of salt, since he can be quite a bit ridiculous (in my opinion) some of the time.

A phenomenal book that I enjoyed was The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell. Dog psychology and behavior is fascinating.

Carrie said...

OMG! She is so freaking adorable. Matt is going to be so jealous. He hearts beagles. Congrats on the new puppy! You are going to love being dog owners! :)

Angie said...

Thanks guys. I can't wait to bring her home. Carrie, don't you miss Scout being this little?

Shari said...

I Love Puppies!!! She is so cute. What alot of fun for you both.

Patty Ann said...

Cute, cute, cute. But are you knitting her a sweater for winter?

3girlmommy said...

She is precious. It makes me want to get another puppy, but then again maybe I'll just come to Holland and snuggle Jane instead. I am not sure I can chase after baby Claire AND and puppy.

Matt Stratton said...

Carrie, don't you miss Scout being this little?

Don't you go putting ideas in her head, Angie!