Sep 5, 2006

I love Labor Day

I truly had a wonderful weekend. I was discussing with Brian last night that Memorial Day and Labor Day are fantastic holidays because we have the opportunity to spend time with family with no pretenses like other holidays. Saturday and Sunday we spent with my family, including Chris, Ben and Meagan. We had a bonfire, ate wonderful food, and even had a chance to see my grandfather. My grandpa wasn't much up to having visitors - understandably so. But it was still nice to make sure my grandma is hanging in there because that "caregiver stress" must be enormous. We visited Brian's grandma too, she's in the hospital with pneumonia and the doctor's say her recovery is poor. She's always been so kind to me, so I hope she recovers. But we also know she's struggled with her COPD for a while and she deserves to finally rest.

The only pain about visiting my parents is I only brought 4 #2 double pointed needles and I needed 5 for Widdershins. Brian understood my woe - so he took me to two Michaels craft stores, Walmart, and a knitting store in Brooklyn. Apparently nobody knits with these because no one carried them. Ridiculous! We got home late Sunday so I started my socks first thing Monday.



I LOVE the yarn. The colorway is my style - so many pastels (maybe a little heavy on the yellow). The yarn is fantastic. It's Blue Moon "Socks that Rock" in the color "Barney Rubble." It is a mediumweight superwash merino. It's very soft (but doesn't seem like it will pill easily) and so shiny. The pattern is going fine now - I had to frog the beginning about 4 times. But I got this much done in about 4 hours.

Monday was spent at the Burch cottage on Whitefish Lake. The immediate family was there along with Jacqueline, Jeffrey's long term girlfriend. Jacqueline and I both went skiing. It was her first time and she did great. She inspired me to go for the first time this year.



(I know the pic is hard to see, but I'm back there!) It was exhilarating, scary, and hard work. I decided to work up the guts to cut outside the wake, and when I did it was so worth it. I've never skied on a glassy surface like that. It was AWESOME! My parents lake was always too choppy, unless I wanted to ski at 6 am....no thank you. Now getting behind the wake is where I bit it, oh well.

We ended the night with a great lobster dinner. Delicious!



Usually this is just a Christmas Eve treat, but Chuck said he was so happy to have us all together and proud of everyone being so successful - so it was his treat to us. Thanks Chuck! I have to say, it felt weird to eat such a fancy meal in bathingsuits at a picnic table. My tastebuds won't soon forget. Brian says we had true "surf and turf" this weekend because my parents fed us delicious steaks. We are so spoiled!

Anyone else have a weekend report? Kim's niece, Abby, was born last week. Congrats to her and Yvonne!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girlie!

You are an amazing knitter. I LOVE the socks! I have been knitting on my baby hat and am ashamed at my lack of progress, especially now that I see how far you have made it on your socks. I'm glad you had such a good weekend, the lobster looks delicious. We hung out here. Mitch's sis drove up for a visit so it was awesome to see her. Went to a very sparse and disappointing arts and crafts fair where we roasted in the heat. Something to do I guess. Oh, and we became members of our church so that was exciting.

patty said...

Yes we gush with pride shamelessly! I especially liked it when David called you sis!

It's so lonesome around here with everyone off being so productive. Good thing we keep so busy with work we're too exhausted to dwell on it! So we savor the times we can share with each and every one of you whenever we can.

The girls ruled skiing!

patty said...

Oh patty ann, Chuck got the recipe off the net. We can mail it to you. He made a garlic spread that he stuffed into the shell. It definitely took longer than the 10 minutes as written in the recipe.

Kim Davis said...

The lobster looks amazing! I just ate dinner but it's making me hungry anyways!!

This weekend, my other sister-in-law (Gary's sister) is having her twins!!! She's also getting induced on a Friday morning--guess those OBs like their weekends!