Oct 26, 2008

Tiny head



This afternoon I knit up my fresh handspun into a little hat for Charlotte while I watched Charlotte's Web (the remake). Charlotte was a very nice spider. I hope my daughter is that kind.
The hat is a simple stockinette with a rolled brim. I followed the basic instructions from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's "Knitting Rules." She says newborns have a 14" head and 5" to the crown. Since my gauge was 4 stitches/inch, I cast on 56 stitches. I then knit in the round for 5" and made three rows of decreases with a plain row in between each decrease row. I finished it off with a purse string cinch at the top. It was a quick knit - I finished it before the movie was even over. I also love that the purple stripe showed up conveniently in the middle of the hat. I did try to get Maggie to model the hat for the blog, but she wasn't having it.
I won't have enough left to make me a hat too, but I think I'll make a hat with a matching stripe or mittens.

1 comment:

Lori H said...

Aww, cute hat!