May 22, 2006

One Night of Magic

I never thought I would have another chance to attend a prom, but a tutoring program in Chicago, 826Chicago, gave me the perfect opportunity. This is a not for profit writing center for children, found in most of the major cities. It is pretty awesome because each center has a normal storefront where they sell themed items, like pirate notions or lumberjack supplies. Volunteers, like our friend Mark, help create writing workshops to inspire the kids.

We were asked to wear "second hand formal" to the prom. My dress was $4.99 at the Salvation Army. Brian had an old three piece suit from when he played Henry Higgins in high school (he was pretty gosh-darned proud that it still fit). His glasses were a $0.49 buy and he loved them - they completed his Napoleon Dynamite look. Look at this guy, a face only a mom and wife could love.

The prom actually took place in a gymnasium with a d.j. spinning the 80s records all night long. Now, of course, 80s music doesn't take me back to my prom days. I could've used a little Boyz II Men and Celine Dion. We had several friends with us, and as you can see, one outfit was as crazy as the next.


The other girl in pink, Sue, was actually wearing her mother in law's prom dress from 1965. How great is that?!

Now, just so you don't feel knitting deprived - a shot of my completed Dublin Bay socks...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie, Tremendous buy on the dress!You guys look so cute. Were you able to kick out some eighties style dance moves and not have Brian's glasses fly off? The Dublin Bays turned out nice. Did you enjoy the pattern? Me, I'm bored with knitting socks so I made a slight detour last weekend and knit a cupcake.

Angie said...

Oh no! How can you say you're bored with socks. That's crazy!!
Send me a pic of your cupcake please. I just listened to a podcast with girls complaining about knitted cupcakes and sushi, but I suppose they're nice for a change of pace.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ang-Use alittle more self tanner on those LEGS!!! :) The socks are sexy...but the legs?!?!?!

Angie said...

I demand to know who said that!!

Anonymous said...

Love the dress and the socks! You are such a speedy knitter! Brian looks handsome too.

Anonymous said...

Next time I see you, you should let me model whatever pair of socks you are working on. I have nice legs.